Friday, December 24, 2010

Stressful Week

Kaetana has been having some pretty stressful issues the past week and a half. At first, I was exclusively breast feeding, and it seemed to be going pretty well, but after a while we noticed that she wasn't gaining any weight. She was born at 7lb 10oz, and by her 1 week well check, she was down to about 7lb 2oz. No bueno. They say it's normal for babies to lose a little weight in the first week or so, but not necessarily that much. So the pediatrician gave me some tips to get her weight up and sent us on our way.

Well, a few days later, the little lady flat out refused to eat. Just wouldn't. We even had a bottle and some formula to try and she wouldn't take it. I was so frustrated, and with an entire day of her eating nothing, and having zero dirty diapers, I grew concerned enough to call her Dr again and they decided to have me bring her in. There we learned that she still wasn't gaining weight (had only upped by an ounce or so) and they decided to have me start supplementing with formula in between feedings. We tried that until Saturday, when we had a weight check scheduled, and learned that she had gained another couple ounces, but the Dr still wasn't happy. So, basically, we just kept on trying.

She had her 2 week appointment on Tuesday, and hadn't gained.

Now it's Friday, and we've switched exclusively to formula. I'm pretty bummed out about it, but at this point I'm thinking I just don't make enough or there's something off about my breastmilk that's not nourishing her the way it should be. All I want is for my little baby to gain some weight! So far, the exclusive formula feeding is going pretty well. She eats every 2 or so hours, 2 ounces. I'm hoping that on Tuesday (another weight check) they will tell us some good news.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that she's having a hard time. Don't feel bad about not being able to feed her breastmilk. She might be able to switch back after she gains some weight, and even if she can't you are switching because you want to benefit her and make her feel better so don't be upset about it. You are doing the right thing to help your child. I know some moms can get upset over not being able to breastfeed, and I just wanted to let you know that you shouldn't be upset. In the end she will still be a happy and healthy baby and that's what you want ultimately. I'm hoping really hard that she will gain weight and continue to gain and thrive. Hugs to you hon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! ♥